Monday, September 14, 2009

Girl Scout Camping Adventure

Kayla and I just got back on Sunday from a Girl Scout Camping Adventure. I have to say it was probably one of my favorite Girl Scout camping weekends I've had as a leader. The troop was checking out the camp grounds where we will be hosting the Ingathering in May 2010. (Ingathering is like a big camporee for all the girls in our Service Unit that wish to attend.) The girls tried out some of the add on activities that we are going to be offering for Ingathering along with meeting with the camp director to bounce their ideas off of.

The girls did a high ropes course challenge. I was proud of all of them. It was especially frightening watching them do the team building exercise walking across a two wire bridge about 40 feet in the air. It was amazing to watch the girls talk each other across as they met in the middle to exchange ropes (that only came to the middle). I was really proud of Kayla watching her do those and it never appearing that she was afraid.

We also did the Swing by Choice (basically a trapeze) that takes you up 50 feet in the air, you let go, drop and swing. One girl said it was worth the wedgie! Not sure I'm ready to say that but I'm glad I tried it.

I had a very nice bonding moment with Kayla that I won't share here because I don't want to embarrass her but it really made the camping experience more special for me. Now it's back to our normal crazy busy home schedule.

No comments: